Our partnerships are built on the following:
- Appreciating local strengths: We start our partnerships by appreciating the strengths of local organizations: their agility, resourcefulness, social capital, and knowledge of local context. We build on these strengths to address other capacity gaps. With the right support, organizations grow into effective establishments.
- Strengthening community action: Self-help and mutual assistance are part and parcel of the way of life and survival of communities in Africa. We invest in organizations that leverage these community assets and strengthen them by building community knowledge and skills.
- Responsive approach: When local communities are the drivers of action to stop poverty they have greater levels of ownership and invest in sustained change. We support the priorities that are relevant to the local context and needs.
- Building relationships: The quality of our interactions with our partners enables an open discussion about their strengths, challenges, successes, and needs. This also allows Firelight staff to both encourage and support partners, which helps them gain confidence and promote their own work.
- Long-term view: The work of improving the lives of children and families is difficult and takes time. Our seven-year partnership provides stability in funding and a realistic time frame for building the capacity of organizations to help them mature into established and sustainable fixtures in the community that are well run and have effective programs and services.