Getting Started with Crowdfunding
Of all the amazing features of our new online strategy, the one I am most excited about is the ability for anyone to fundraise for Firelight using the crowdsourcing platform Crowdrise. On our Fund: Child Safety page, toward the bottom of the page, you can select to “Set Up my Fundraising Campaign.” This gives you the option to take a fund that you are passionate about, set a personal goal for yourself, and start bringing in donations where 100% of the proceeds go straight to the ground! This option will always be part of our online funds you can invest in, it's a big part of our strategy because we want to connect communities here with communities on the ground in Africa.
Here's how Crowdrise works and how to set up a personal fundraiser for Firelight.
Useful facts about Crowdrise:
- All donations are tax-deductible.
- You do not need an account to make a donation.
- Crowdrise takes a competitive Transaction Fee.
- You can add donations manually if people prefer to write checks or give cash.
Three critical steps for setting up a Fundraiser page, which you can also find on Crowdrise:
- Create a Fundraiser by Joining Our Team: Create an online fundraiser by scrolling to the bottom of our Charity Page, click on our current Fundraiser of your choice. Once you are on the Firelight’s fundraiser page, you can start your own Fundraiser by clicking Fundraise For This Campaign. Then set a fundraising goal, add pictures and video to personalize your own page. If you are interested, Firelight will provide you with a “Promotion Kit” of materials to make setting up your profile as fun and easy as possible. Your profile and amount raised will the show up under Firelight’s team.
- Ask for Donations: Under the Manage Campaign tab on your Fundraiser page, spread the word about your new Firelight fundraiser through email and social media to your family, co-workers, and classmates. Don’t be afraid to ask a couple times, people appreciate reminders. You can even ask people to join your team in the same way you joined ours.
- Make it fun: The more fun you have with your fundraiser, the more people will want to donate to you. We challenge you to be creative, every time someone donates to you, post an interpretive thank you dance video, or if you meet you’re goal, you’ll give up your favorite thing for a week like meat or caffeine, or even hike the John Muir Trail!
Ideas for a Successful Campaign
Now that you understand how Crowdrise works and how to setup your own fundraiser, here are some ideas to help make your campaign a success.
If you ever have any questions feel free to email me at Rebecca@firelightfoundation.org.
I look forward to seeing you on Crowdrise!